Thursday, March 17, 2016

Money

Money's weird, right? What is it exactly? I mean, if an alien came down and asked you to explain it  to him, and told you that no such thing existed or ever had existed on his planet, what would you tell him? This is  stuff that's we've all agreed we can exchange for other stuff. Okay, and...?

Every week, I go hand a bunch of cash to someone at a bank. That person types a bunch of nonsense into a computer, and then puts the money in a drawer. Where the cash goes from there, no one knows. Maybe the guy behind me gets it. How does it all work? What is it all based on? Why do we need it at all? These questions have probably been asked by wiser men than I, and they don't seem to have any answers. We need it to prove something I guess. That we work, maybe. Except there's no connection between how hard you work and how much money you earn. Maybe you need it to prove you're educated. Except there's no connection between how educated you are and how much money you make. What's it all for?

Hell, maybe the only people who understand it are the ones who have it. As for me, I'm off to my low-skill, low-wage job to try and earn some more of it, you know, before my bills come due. Later, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment