Thursday, March 31, 2016

Hashtag

I never used to think about hashtags. They were a thing used to break up sections of a longer work. Nothing more, nothing less. Never gave them much thought beyond their utilitarian purpose. But now there's Twitter, and they have a new purpose, don't they? And God, how I hate it. Everything has a hashtag now, and I do mean everything.

#IHateHashtags
#WhyHashtagsAndNotSomeOtherSymbol?
#AtLeastThe@ThingKindOfMadeSense
#OnTheOtherHandMaybeIShouldHaveATwitter
#ButIHateAllSocialMedia
#ButThat'sHowPeopleConnect
#ButIHateIt
#I'mSuddenlyFeelingVeryNeurotic

Get the picture? I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't want to start a trending topic or anything else. I hate, hate, hate, seeing these damn things in front of everything. We need something new, something different. Of course, then whatever that thing is will just become the thing that I hate, and then I'll probably look back on hashtags with a kind of nostalgic reverence. Oh God, what can I do?

I guess not much. In the end, there are certain things about the society in which I live that I'm just going to have to learn to put up with. And this is probably one of them.

#I'llLearnToLiveWithIt

1 comment: